Sunday, May 27, 2012

Mobile-friendly site updated!

Many of you may not know it, but the Alabama Broadcast Media Page has had a mobile-friendly landing page for quite some time.  Previously, only the index page was friendly to small screens; links went to the regular site and left fitting the tables correctly up to your device.  This doesn't work very well in either smartphone browsers, which fail to break up the tables into small readable columns, or in Opera Mini, which does break up tables to be small-screen friendly but does not show breaks or lines between cells, making all the content run together.

To be more smartphone browser friendly, the mobile site's tables have been stripped of as many superfluous columns as possible and no longer mandate padding around the edges.  To be more friendly to Opera Mini, I've colorized either alternating rows or individual cells to break up content into easier-to-digest chunks.  Doing all this necessitated creating a copy of all the data pages (but not the profile pages, which remain on the main site.)

Although maintaining two different copies of each city and AM/FM/TV/LPFM/LPTV page is not ideal, it's the best solution I can come up with, with the limited tools at my disposal.  I don't have many phones to check my site out with, so if you find your device rendering ABMP funny, let me know and I'll see if I can fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment