Saturday, May 29, 2010

Our tax dollars hard at work

A while back I ran into a problem with the government-run map server that the site uses to plot coverage maps and transmitter locations.  I figured it would resolve itself in a day or twenty, so I promptly forgot that the Tiger map browser was not loading maps anymore.

That was about three months ago.  And today, while working on the Montgomery page, I re-discovered the problem.  No only can we (and the FCC) not plot transmitter locations, the Tiger map browser interface is completely broken.

Since this entire site is hand-written because I have neither the smarts nor the money to do a fancy-dancy database interface, that means I gotta go through and change about a hundred links to the map server on all the Technical Profile pages.

Joy.

Since there are a multitude of plotting/mapping options available on other media websites like Radio-Locator, RECnet and FM/TV Fool, I am not going to be in any hurry to fix all those links.  (And I was in a hurry to do Montgomery but I still put it off for six months, so… buyer beware.)

No comments:

Post a Comment